Things To Consider
- This is the greatest of the signs John recorded (John 20:30-31).
- Grave-robbing became enough of a problem that about 15 years later Claudius would make it a crime punishable by death.
- It would be strange for the linen cloths to be there because the spices which were of value would have been contained in them.
- They looked and looked and looked but finally "saw".
- Mary couldn't just leave and even though she saw Jesus, she did not recognize him.
- Jesus sent Mary with a mission: go and tell.
- The doors were locked for fear of the Jews.
- Jesus' resurrected body passed through grave clothes and it passed through walls.
- The commission is linked to the giving of the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is linked with forgiveness.
- Jesus hears Thomas even when he is not physically present.
- Thomas offers his confession of faith, "My Lord and my God."
- John tells us his purpose for the book in verses thirty and thirty-one.