Things To Consider
- John the Baptist is a wake up call.
- John has rough clothing and met a classic image of a prophet.
- John's reference to sandals speaks to the greatness of Jesus.
- The Spirit anointed Jesus' human nature.
- The time is fulfilled points to the fact that this is a moment prepared by God as a part of redemptive history.
- At hand = in time and person.
- Jesus is calling disciples which is one who is under the discipline of a tutor or rabbi.
- Jesus chose his disciples which was not the norm. Normally they applied and were thoroughly tested.
- A disciple was a servant.
- Jesus spoke with authority because he is the word of God.
- Demons know and recognize Jesus even in his incarnation.
- Revealing one's name is an act of submission.
- Many were coming only for physical relief.
- The leper was an evangelist in disobedience.
- Tax collectors worked on a commission basis.
- Old structures cannot bear up under the new.
- The Lord of the sabbath is the creator of the sabbath.