Things To Consider
- Only Luke gives us the story of this pivotal figure John The Baptist.
- Zechariah and Elizabeth are a devout, but childless couple.
- Zechariah is chosen by lot, but the decision is the Lord's (Proverbs 16:33).
- The angel Gabriel links John to the final promise of the older testament.
- Doubt costs Zechariah his voice.
- Elizabeth goes into seclusion as would her son.
- Mary is given a most holy task.
- Gabriel is dispatched once again to bear good news.
- Mary has questions and we are reminded of the power of the Holy Spirit and signs are given to confirm these miraculous words concerning her cousin Elizabeth.
- The contrast is beautiful... Elizabeth is old and barren, Mary is young and virginal and God is the giver of life.
- Filled with the Holy Spirit, Elizabeth begins to exclaim the truth and speak of the favor she now receives as the mother of her Lord visits.
- Sometimes you cannot help but sing.
- John The Baptist is born and the relatives are shocked by the name.
- Zechariah confirms the name and the silence is broken and filled with the Holy Spirit he began to prophesy. It must have been quite the scene.