Things To Consider
- Solomon's reign had left an unbearable weight on the people.
- The people chose Solomon's enemy to be their representative.
- Wisdom is sometimes pushed aside by foolish pride.
- The ten Northern tribes openly rebelled.
- Civil war most certainly would have ensued had not the prophet turned back the loyalist army.
- This was a permanent division.
- Political pressure led Jeroboam to create a rival religious system out of the fear that the people would turn back.
- Jeroboam did not set up temples; he set up idols.